Artist of the Month
This is a special program used to recognize Victoria Art League members and their artistic creations. It is open to all participating Art League members regardless of their level of experience. The Victoria Art League will not be responsible for loss, theft or damage to any work displayed in the gallery.
Below are the guidelines:
- Must be a member of the Victoria Art League and have 10 hours of recorded volunteer hours serving VAL in the past six months.
- Art will be displayed on the four rolling panels in the Nichols Gallery.
- The four rolling panels will be available on the first day of the month and should be empty on the last day of the month.
- All aspects of visual art must be acceptable in a community art gallery environment open to the public.
- Artists are responsible for hanging and taking down artwork.
- Display area should be maintained in a presentable manner throughout the show.
- We do not require that all artwork be framed. We do, however, expect that the artwork will be presented in an attractive, artistic manner.
- Artists are encouraged to host a special reception to promote their exhibit at his/her own expense and must be scheduled with the Victoria Art League. Such reception would be the responsibility of the artist and would need to be scheduled with the Victoria Art League.
- VAL will promote the artist through the website, Facebook, newsletter, etc.
- The artist is welcome to add additional promotion of his/her works at their own expense.
- Sales of the displayed artwork will be processed using the same guidelines that are used for all other gallery sales.
Artist of the Month for August, 2019
Ernesto Perez is an artist whose primary art form is photography. His principal source of inspiration for his subject matter comes from seeking to understand the connection between spiritual imagery and the nature of grief and emotional response after the experience of loss.
His photos are presented with the aim not to provide a bleak view, but to identify the importance of the energy of a place and its subjective experience relationship. By contesting the division between the realm of reality, memory and religious context, he introduces the viewer into a world of ongoing personal transformation and the interval that articulates the stream of daily events. These moments are depicted to punctuate love, compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness and contentment in order to embrace the idea of an ultimate immaterial reality.
Mr. Perez is the 2012 recipient of the “Affair of The HeART” Best of Show award, sponsored by Citizens Medical Center, the Victoria Art League, and the Cultural Council of Victoria.
Artist of the Month at Citizens Medical Center for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 as well as part of Beeville Art Museum 2019 Texas Artist exhibition.
His art work has won several awards including “On My Own Time” Art Show sponsored by The Cultural Council of Victoria, in which he was awarded first and second place in Black and White Photography as well as Digitally Enhanced Photography.
His art work is in many private residences trough the U.S. and Mexico. He completed his studies in Mexico where he earned a Bachelor Degree in Liberal Arts and an Associate in Advertising Design. He has been a member of the Victoria Photography Club and Nikon Professional Services. He also serves as an art instructor with the Manhattan Art Project in Victoria, Texas.
The public is invited to attend a reception for Ernesto on Monday, August 12 at 6:00 pm.
The Victoria Art League is open and free to the public every Tuesday through Saturday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.